Industry 4.0 and Society 5.0, Similar but not the Same?
At present, maybe some of us are familiar with Industry 4.0, which originated from the concept of the digital era/information and communication technology era in Germany with 6 main pillars, namely digital society, sustainable energy, smart mobility, healthy living, civil security, and technology at work. Our country, Indonesia has also implemented Industry 4.0.
Then, what about Society 5.0? Do you already know what Society 5.0 is? Society 5.0 is an industrial revolution formulated by Japan which was inaugurated on January 21, 2019, to deal with all the problems that occur there. Where in Japan is experiencing a challenge of decreasing population which makes the population/workers of productive age decrease, so Japan is trying to improve this condition by implementing Society 5.0.
Society 5.0 itself is a “refinement” of Industry 4.0, where many people think that Industry 4.0 will use sophisticated technology machines that will reduce the amount of work done by human labor. Where Society 5.0 is expected to create new value through the development of advanced technology that can reduce the gap between humans and economic problems in the future.
Then, what are the similarities and differences between Industry 4.0 and Society 5.0? Come on, we discuss it together!
The equation between Industry 4.0 and Society 5.0 is:
- Both Industrial revolutions emphasize advanced technologies such as Internet of Things (IoT), Smart Machines, Knowledge Management, and Smart Web to represent work connectivity.
- Industry 4.0 and Society 5.0 both understand how humans can communicate with machines or advanced technology through Intelligent Machines
- Both have the power to do multitasking work with a variety of automated machines and other advanced technologies.
- They both emphasize that in the current era, work is no longer a single hourly job, but is a process that always runs with other processes.
- Both emphasize the free movement of one process to another and require fewer procedures to complete work.
- Industry 4.0 and Society 5.0 are both considering sustainability engineering in the midst of progressive technology deployed materially by ensuring that nature and ecology are still in good shape.
Then, there are 3 differences between Industry 4.0 and Society 5.0:
- If Industry 4.0 emphasizes and focuses on how work can be done automatically, then Society 5.0 emphasizes how to optimize responsibilities for working hours.
- In Industry 4.0, this industrial revolution highlights the effectiveness of using automatic machines, in Society 5.0 highlights the effectiveness of optimizing human labor for advanced machines and technology.
- In Industry 4.0, communication can be computerized in various ways, while in Society 5.0 it is focused on making work easier with smart and sophisticated machines or technology.
So, what do you think? Industry 4.0 with Society 5.0 is similar but not the same, right? Even though there are some differences, basically the Industrial Revolution was aimed at making it easier for people to do work more effectively and efficiently. However, if you are still busy with the Industrial Revolution 4.0, we should start to understand Society 5.0 so that we can move together so that Society 5.0 can be implemented properly and simultaneously.